Istanbul Archeology Museums is one of the largest museums in the world, hosting more than one million works. Istanbul Archeology Museum main building, is Turkey’s oldest building, built as a museum.
Istanbul Archeology Museums located in Sultanahmet district has an important place among the museums in Istanbul. This museum consists of three main sections. These; Archeology Museum, Ancient Orient Museum and Enameled Kiosk Museum.
The founder of the museum is Osman Hamdi Bey, known as the tortoise trainer. Osman Hamdi Bey built this museum as an imperial museum at the end of the 19th century.
The oldest building in the Istanbul Archaeological Museums complex is the Tiled Pavilion built in 1472. The Old Oriental Works Museum building was built as the Academy of Fine Arts by Osman Hamdi Bey in 1883.
Istanbul Archeology Museums Sections and Their Stories
Archeology Museum is the main building of the Istanbul Archeology Museums complex. This building, which is one of the most popular museums in the city, contains very striking works. The artifacts found in the Sidon King Necropolis Excavation, which was personally carried out by Osman Hamdi Bey, in 1887-1888, are exhibited in this building.
When many magnificent works such as Iskender Tomb, Crying Women Tomb, Lycian Tomb, Tabnit Tomb were brought to Istanbul, a museum building was needed. The classic building of Istanbul Archeology Museums was built opposite the Tiled Pavilion by the famous architect of the period, Alexandre Vallaury. This building was opened to visitors on June 13, 1891.
There are sarcophagi and the Antique Age Sculpture Hall on the ground floor of the two-storey museum building. On the upper floor, there are stones, pots, terracotta figurines, library, treasury section and Islamic Coin booths.
Ancient Oriental Works Museum
In this museum building where ancient Egyptian artifacts are exhibited, special mummies are exhibited. You will also find the oldest love poem of the world in the Museum of Ancient Orient, which includes inscriptions, sculptures and a mini sphinx.
The museum also includes artifacts from Mesopotamia, Southern Mesopotamia, Babylon and the Arabian Peninsula. Some of them are as follows: sundial with Aramaic inscription, statue of Lugal Dalu King of Adap, Kadesh Treaty, the first written agreement in history, Hammurabi Laws, Egyptian mummies and Akkadian King Naram Sin Stele.
Tiled Kiosk Museum
The building, which served as a mansion when it was built in 1472, was later converted into a museum. It is possible to see many paintings of Osman Hamdi Bey in the museum.
In this museum, tiles from the Ottoman and Seljuk periods are exhibited. The most interesting works of the museum are Peacock Fountain and Ab-ı Hayat Fountain.
There is a 14-column portico at the entrance of the Tiled Kiosk Museum, which has a different architectural structure compared to other museums. More than 2000 works are exhibited in the building consisting of 6 rooms and a hall.
Visiting Hours and Entrance Fees
Istanbul Archeology Museums, which are closed on Mondays, are open between 09.00-17.30 in the summer season; It is open to visitors between 09.00-17.00 in the winter season.
Istanbul Archeology Museum entrance fee is 50 TL. But if you have a museum card, you can enter this museum free of charge.
Address: Alemdar Street, Osman Hamdi Bey Slope, Gulhane
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: +90 212 520 77 40